Followers

Growing Your Wealth Exponentially

Growing Your Wealth Exponentially
BY JAMES OH

Search This Blog

LETTING GO AND MOVING ON BY JAMES OH

LETTING GO AND MOVING ON BY JAMES OH
TO BUY PLEASE CLICK AT THE IMAGE

Translate

MINDSET SHIFT: EMPLOYEE TO ENTREPRENEUR

MINDSET SHIFT: EMPLOYEE TO ENTREPRENEUR
BY JAMES OH

Sunday, March 17, 2013

CHIKOO - THE HEALTHY FRUIT

CHIKOO - THE HEALTHY FRUIT

I am deeply delighted to find chiku, also called Sapote in English, which I have not seen  for quite some time, in the night market recently. Without much hesitation, I bought some for my family's members. I love to eat this amazing fruit since I was a kid when I resided in Penang. I believe whoever has tried it will tell you how delicious this brown roundish fruits are. You take a bite and you will realize that the nature always have  a surprise up its sleeve.
Happy day to everyone,

Recently, I read that the plant is growing splendidly in tropical humid climates in general but it is a native to Mexico and South America. The chiku was introduced and brought back to the Philippine from Mexico by the Spanish conquests. Nowadays, the fruit is cultivated in big amount in India. Furthermore, the trees milky juice is used to extract “chikle” substance which is of use in the production of chewing gums. Mexico and South America concentrate their cultivation towards the chikle production. 

The tree itself is a ever green tree, slowly growing and produces flowers throughout  the year and also the fruitstoo. The fruit ripens only if plucked and should be stored in room temperature to ripen, and can be kept once ripe for 1 week at least in the fridge without problem. You may keep them in the rice bucket so as to accelerate the fruit to ripen faster. Bats love to eat them; I tried to grow it in my backyard, but in vain.

There are different types of chiku; of the slight and slim chiku and the round ones. I personally enjoy the round ones more for they seem to have a more intense taste of the fruit. 

I guess people falls in love with this fruit is because it has a mellow caramel after taste which is best described as caramelized pears since the texture comes quiet close to a pear. Grainy bits, juicy and a fruity aroma. It is also called “potato fruit” for its resemblance and plain brownish appearance. It’s definitely not the prettiest fruit but one of my favourites apart from durian, the king of the fruit.

The Fruits nutritional benefits include high amounts of good sugars – Energy, rich in vitaminsminerals and health heroes’ anti-oxidants.  

Tell us about other options of using the fruit. 

Look forward to hearing from you,
 


No comments: